The Society of The Missionaries of the Sacred
Heart established this library in 1897 providing for the
Novitiate and the Seminary. Over the past 100 years additions
have been made to the library, especially during the time of St.
Paul's National Seminary, 1967-1998. The currency of the
library is maintained specifically in Theology, Sacred Scripture
and a spectrum of journals.
Why the M.S.C. provide a
library. The founder of The Sacred Heart Missionaries, Fr Jules
Chevalier, stressed to his sons and daughters, both lay and
consecrated religious that there must be a love of learning
among them. At the same time their fundamental task was to come
to know Jesus the Christ, a knowing which comes only as a gift
of love, a gift from the Spirit. This task is to achieve a
balance of head and heart. This M.S.C. library, therefore, seeks
to provide head and heart nourishment.
The M.S.C . Library,
originally a resource for the Congregation's novices and
seminarians, comprises 60,000 volumes and upwards of 10,000
journals. It is now offered as a free service to all theological
students. The Library is, arguably, the finest theological
collection of its type in Australia and with on-line search
facilities is available to all. As an M.S.C. resource it is
offered as a service of mission. The collection and facilities
are available for loan and its research facilities are able to
help with any reasonable theological request. The primary
purpose of this outreach is to proclaim and encourage devotion
to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in action as Love.